There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Curse of Knowledge

Recently, I read a great book called "Made to Stick." It is about communication and getting our message across. Yesterday I had lunch with our pastor Michael White and a member of the parish. I asked Bill if he was in a small group and he said not in a non defensive way, maybe with even a tinge of guilt, "No, but I know I should be in one because I hear about it every weak." I was shocked by that because I feel we don't talk enough about small groups. My realization yesterday was that we have not yet painted a concrete enough picture of what a small group is and why it matters, the

I know what a small group is, the members of our staff know what a small group is, the members of our leadership team know what a small group is, our group leaders know what a small group is but the people in the congregation don't have a concrete feel for it or know why it matters. We have succumb a bit to the curse of knowledge, that because we know what we are talking about when we say "small group" we assume everyone else does as well.

If we want to make small groups more accessible, we are going to have to overcome the curse of knowledge and develop a concrete feel for small groups and a simple compelling argument to join them.

No comments: