There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, July 15, 2010

Perspective

I had coffee today with Kevin Burroughs, who is a member of my Thursday morning small group. It was great catching up with him. We talked a bit about anger and shared one common anger. I am always amazed at how conversations with people bring perspective and that just knowing we are understood soothes our soul. I once heard, "You have a fundamental need to be understood."

That statement continues to stick with me and that's why I love small groups. Through my small group, I get to connect with people who slow down in their life to understand me and I get to serve others by understanding them. How much better would our community and world be, if everyone had a place where they felt understood and listened to?

Consider if there is anyone in your life who you know would benefit from being understood, who are struggling because they feel like no one else understands their problems. Pray he or she would join a group this Fall.

No comments: