There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, April 15, 2010

Church: Healing Place or Just A Crutch

So is church about healing or about being healed? Is it a crutch or a crutch? Can it be both? Should it be both? One of our guys felt church wasn’t much of a healing place – nice to go to, but not much healing going on. As we talked it became clear healing wasn’t an event, but a process. Expecting to “be healed” by going to church certainly is a crutch – and a very unhealthy one. Most of us know someone who used this crutch and many of us have used it ourselves. Maybe we still do?
As we looked at Acts and the life of Jesus, it is so clear that church is meant to be about healing and not just being healed. If it isn’t, it isn’t church – clear and simple.
But what is healing? The blind seeing? The lame walking? The dead being raised? My problems being solved? Don’t have much experience with that myself. But I have experienced healing at Nativity and in my small group.
My sin has been forgiven – and they were no small sins. My sinful behavior has been shared and exposed – and I am much more able to be faithful. My anxiety and fear have been lessened – and I am more at peace. My lack of trust is being turned into deeper confidence and belief – and I am more centered in my God. My pride and arrogance (did I say I play guitar?) is being humbled – and boy is that good for the people I live and work with.
So in a very real sense, Nativity and my small group are a crutch for me. I lean on both in my brokenness. I need both in my brokenness. Church is about healing and a God given crutch for me. I guess it can be both – thank God.

No comments: