There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, April 15, 2010

Forgive to be Forgiven

Have you ever had the experience where you realized what you were saying only after you said it?  Last night in group I had that very queer experience.

"When Jesus said that one must forgive in order to be forgiven, he didn't mean that being forgiven will be withheld until you also forgive others.  Rather, that we will be unable to believe that forgiveness is possible -- unable to accept forgiveness -- until we have had the experience of forgiving others."

Strange to hear that coming out of my mouth; I didn't really feel like I was saying it.  I was just along for the ride, listening, and thinking, "Now that's an interesting idea."  Not that I've never thought those things before, but this minor out-of-body experience made me realize that I know this to be true while still struggling to implement it personally.  I have certainly withheld forgiveness from those who have hurt me.  Even if they don't know it.  And that has kept me from realizing God's forgiveness to some degree.

My sense last night was that some of the guys felt the same.  Forgiveness is hard.  But not giving forgiveness is a trap.

Father, forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.  Help us to forgive our debtors!

No comments: