There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, June 24, 2010

Abba

How do you approach an “all powerful and all loving Father” when our experience of “father” doesn’t quite match up? My father came from Donegal, Ireland to the US as a young boy. I often refer to him as a “tough Irishman.” He was loving, but also often emotionally distant – that’s just the way he was. One of our guys has a father who is still emotionally distant. Another of our guys never knew his father. Even the guys who have fathers who are their heroes can talk about things that were missing in their relationship.
As we talked about fathers last night it struck me that all of us, no matter what our experience of “father” was, had a deep understanding of what we wanted, what we missed, and what “father” should be. That deep knowing and longing for “abba” is in all of us because it was planted deep in us by a God who has a great desire to be our all loving and all powerful Father. It is clear from scripture that, if we let Him, God will father us perfectly. He wants nothing better than to father us lovingly and powerfully.
And that’s why the thought that “worrying is dishonoring to God” is so troubling for me. I often call God my Father, but I am a big worrier. The two thoughts cannot be held at the same time. I believe one or the other, but cannot believe both. If I really believe God is an all powerful and all loving Father, I cannot worry.
My earthly father taught me to be responsible, self-reliant, and strong. My heavenly Father planted deep in my being a desire for complete dependence and trust in an all powerful and all loving God from whom I can draw great strength. One has lead to big control issues in my life. The deep desires are only now allowing me to be more trusting and reliant on my all powerful and loving Father. Thank you, Abba.
I’d love to know how others relate to the idea of God as Father. Comments?

2 comments:

Tom & Mia Corcoran said...

Great post, Jack. I have been reading a book by Michael O'Brien called Theophios. The story is about life right after the time of Christ. Every time a character calls his or her father "Abba" in a loving way, it just drills into me how intimate a term it is.

I love the idea of open mic night as well

Maria Folsom-Kovarik said...

My small group is right in the middle of telling our "stories." Even in a women's group, our fathers play a profound role in each of our lives close, distant, or entirely absent. I think we talked more about Dads than we did about Moms!

I have a great dad. Above all he teaches me about rescue and covenant. He's come after me in my rebellion. He's pursued me to the ends of the earth (or at least country). He's let me make the big mistakes I wanted to make. Still he's all mercy and love. I can't seem to shake him. He's always there when I return.

I called him during one of those big snowstorms this year and told him that he has taught me so much about my Heavenly Father. That's about all I could say through the tears.