There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, May 6, 2010

Being Authentic

"Authentic friendships are more than just superficial, surface level chit-chat. They involve genuine, heart-to-heart, sometimes gut-level, sharing. These friendships develop when we get honest about who we are and what is happening in our lives. They develop when we share our hurts, reveal our feelings, confess our failures, disclose our doubts, admit our fears, acknowledge our weaknesses, and ask for help and prayer." Rick Warren, Pastor, Saddleback Church
"I feel like an authentic friend. I share at a level of depth that I’ve never shared with any of my friends or family. I feel real…no lies or secrets—pretending to be someone I’m not. I don’t try to impress my small group or anyone else for that matter. It has inspired me to live a simple & God-Centered Life." Small Group Leader, Church of the Nativity
I am so blessed to be in a small group where authenticity is what we strive for and often achieve. Last night was another powerful example for us of what authentically telling our stories can do to transform us and those we share our stories with. You can't help but walk away feeling the awesome power of Jesus in our midst.
It's the power of authentic friendships centered in Jesus. The two quotes above say it all for me. This is what I pray my small group will be for me. This is what I pray I will be for my brothers in my group. This is what I pray everyone in a Nativity small group comes to experience. The power of Jesus working through authentic friendships.

No comments: