There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability;
there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community. - M. Scott Peck



Thursday, October 14, 2010

Miracle in Chile

Our group prayed last night for the miracle that took place in Chile. I was struck by a number of things as I watched. How many miners dropped to their knees thanking God for their rescue as soon as they were released from the capsule. How many family members centered their hope for rescue in their faith in God. How trust and faith in the Divine served to drive rescuers harder to do all that was humanly possible to aid those trapped. How 33 men – some who only knew each other for a day and some who were life long family members – supported and cared for each member of the group as they faced a seemingly hopeless situation. How the bonds shaped by sharing difficult times will bind these men forever.

Here’s a great quote about the miner from Bolivia: “Despite the offer to return to Bolivia with his family, which President Morales said was effective immediately and he would even fly him home in his presidential plane. The miner made it clear he wanted to stay in Chile, at least for a few days. He said he plans to meet up with the 32 other miners on the surface once they have recovered from their ordeal.” He was offered a job and a house, but he first needed to see the men he can become brothers with in the mine. Talk about band of brothers.

I sat in a circle with nine guys last night with none of us ever wanting to experience the sheer terror of 2 months underground (I start to panic after two minutes in tight spaces). And no one could ever want to see that rescue scene repeated. But I do want the faith that many of the miners and their families demonstrated. I do want a band of brothers who will support me in whatever tragedy life may bring my way. I do want a faith in the Divine that drives me to do all I humanly can to help those in need around me. I do want to celebrate victories in my life with people who have prayed for me, cried for me, and worked hard to help me.

It isn’t hard to see God’s hand in a miracle like the rescue in Chile. But God isn’t limited to the big stage. In fact, most of God’s best work is done in the quiet of our every day life. In the quiet of my family, in the quiet of my workplace, in the quiet of my small group. Big miracles are often easier to see and they grab our attention. It’s the small miracles that we often miss. And it’s through small miracles that most of God’s work gets done.

God bless the Chilean miners, their families, and their rescuers. And God bless every one of us who are working out our own smaller, personal tragedies. May we all experience little miracles like the big miracle the Chilean miners did through faith in God and support from good, caring supportive people around us.

No comments: